You may have wondered what happened to this book, and it's a slightly complicated story! When I first drew the Vern & Lettuce comic strips, they were printed in the weekly DFC comic, published by David Fickling Books, which was then still an imprint of Random House. David Fickling split off to form his own independent publishing house, and then that further subdivided into The Phoenix Comic. David Fickling managed to work it so I could use the Vern and Lettuce characters in my recently published picture book with him, The New Neighbours. BUT... Random House (now Penguin Random House) still owned the rights to my comic book. Finally I got the rights back, so a fresh edition could come out with Bog Eyed Books, a publisher who focus on comics and have a real love for them. Thank you, Bog Eyed Books!
Here are Gary and Nicky Evans of Bog Eyed Books, with comics creator Tor Freeman and some of the team who ran the recent Bog Eyed Books Festival in Abbey Wood:
I'm very glad Vern & Lettuce are back, and I'm hoping they'll get snapped up by:
* A whole new generation of young comics readers (say, age 5+?)
* People of all ages who loved reading The New Neighbours picture book and want to find out more about the animal world of Pickle Rye
* People who loved the original comic, loaned it out, never got it back, and now realise they miss it!
* People who loved reading it the first time and want to give it to someone else as a gift. It's a nice child-friendly A5 size, with a cover featuring escalators in an alternative-universe London Underground.
* People who want a souvenir of London, but with an fun animal twist to it - Bunnies! Sheep! Yaks! Polar Bears!
Hopefully you'll find it in all good comic shops, and online you can buy it from the Bog Eyed Books shop(coming soon) and reliable indie bookshop Page 45 in Nottingham (who ship internationally!). (And Waterstones, Amazon, etc.) And if you're a shop looking to stock, distributor include Gardners Books and Turnaround services.
You can follow Bog Eyed Books on Twitter at @BogEyedBooks and here are some other lovely comic books in their catalogue!
Before you go, here are a few peeks inside Vern & Lettuce: